Alright. You’ve thought long and hard about the next step for your business, and realized it’s time to hire your first employee. It’s exciting stuff.
As you embark on your journey for the right candidate, you need to think about the credentials and professional traits you’re looking for in a new hire. Drafting a job posting is obviously essential to the hiring process, but it also allows you to reflect on what you want and need from a candidate.
How to Write a Compelling Job Post
Crafting an engaging job post can often be trickier than it sounds. With an abundance of job posts on the internet, it’s important to create a post that feels compelling yet genuine; something that will stand out and attract an ideal pool of applicants.
With a few guidelines, you can create a job post that gets the right kind of attention:
- Use job titles and keywords that people are familiar with: this makes your job post easier to find online. While it may be tempting to get creative, keep in mind that SEO rules the internet. While “Rockstar Organizer” might sound like a fun job title, the candidates you’re hoping to attract are searching for jobs using words like “Assistant.”
- Be brief. Bullet points are a great way to organize information and make your posting easy to scan, allowing readers to identify key details and takeaways.
- Be direct. Clearly state what the role’s core responsibilities will be (don’t worry about the minor tasks) and the skill level of the employee you hope to attract.
- Share the role’s wage/salary. Even a general range will attract interest. If you can’t offer a competitive wage, highlight the benefits and opportunities the role can provide a prospective employee.
- Be honest. Being open about yourself as an employer and your company will make it easier to spot the candidates who are a right fit for the role
Job Description Template
If you need a place to start, here’s an example of a succinct but effective job posting:
- (Role) Executive Assistant, Part-Time
- (Your company’s name) ABC Industries
- (Description of the role/company) ABC Industries is a newly formed, small company focused on creating widgets. We believe our widgets help people live a better life. Looking to work for a small company with a mighty mission? We’re looking for you.
- (Responsibilities of the role) As Executive Assistant, you’ll be responsible for:
- Answering the main line and responding to customer emails
- Scheduling appointments for widget tours
- Managing calendar appointments
- (Qualifications) The ideal candidate has:
- 2-3 years experience providing support at a senior-level
- Post-secondary education in a related field (office admin or widgets)
- Exceptional organizational skills and proficiency with MS Office
- (Any special conditions) This is mainly a remote position, so reliable internet access is required. Some travel to the main office will also be required.
- (Benefits) $15-$20/hr
Depending on where you’re submitting your job posting, you may also need to include your contact details and the location(s) of your main offices, especially if this is an in-office role.
In the next installment of this series, we’ll outline the interview process, onboarding, and how to arm your new employee with the tools they need for success.
And remember; if you’re looking for a comprehensive system to lessen your workload as you navigate the journey of hiring a new employee, we have you covered. Check out PaymentEvolution’s product and service offerings to find solutions tailored to solve your everyday pain-points. We exist to make your job easier.